Sunday, November 2, 2008

Who is qualified?

Tuesday, November 4th, is election day in the United States. I am so grateful to God for the freedoms we enjoy in this country, including the great privilege to vote. I hope I'll never forget that it is a "privilege" and a duty, and one that I should not take lightly.

I already early-voted (hallelujah for that!), and this was my 10th opportunity to vote for President/Vice President of the United States. Hard to believe it has been that many already! Wow, how did that happen?!?

Every presidential election we have to make one choice, usually between one team of nominees for President/Vice President from the two major political parties. Too often I hear people say leading up to the election that they are unhappy with the choices they are given, and even question whether the candidates running are "qualified" to serve. Makes me wonder "Who is qualified?"

How easy it is for us to sit in our homes and offices and openly declare that someone is not qualified for a job that we know precious little about. For example, what is it that qualifies someone to be either President or Vice President? Is it written down somewhere? Has this list been in existence for awhile? Can you find it on Wikipedia? Who is it that determines what makes someone qualified to be President or Vice President of these United States?

How arrogant of us to decide whether someone we don't even know very much about (except for what the media gives us) is qualified or not qualified for the job. I wonder, am I qualified for the job I am currently doing? Somedays I think so, but most days I am just doing the best I can. Somedays the only thing that gets me through the day is "character" because I know that I am NOT qualified for the position. How about you? Are you qualified for the job you are currently holding? How do you know? Is there a list and you measure up well against that list? How would you like it if someone who knew very little about you and/or your job started spouting off to everyone about how unqualified YOU were for the position you now hold (or the next job you'd really like to have)? Hmmmm?

Next time you are tempted to make a snap judgment about someone else's qualifications, why don't you think about whether you'd like to be judged in the same way. And, don't forget "character" - because a person's character is what really determines how well they'll perform in certain jobs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I take comfort in Romans 13:1 which says "there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God." While this doesn't obviate my responsibility to vote wisely, it sure does take off some of the pressure knowing that it is all in God's hands.