Sunday, March 29, 2009

Seven Reasons for JOY!

This weekend my immediate family experienced a "first" - the marriage of our son, Peter, to the lovely Kristen. It was a FANTASTIC experience for all of us and this morning I am still absolutely filled with JOY!

Since it is JOY that is overflowing in my mind and soul today, I thought it would be a great time to express the reasons for JOY in this blog. I have seven. I'm sure I'll think of a few more as the day goes on, but this is what I came up with at 8 a.m.

Reason Number One - To see Peter's face and observe his excitement as his radiant bride came down that aisle, all I could think of was JOY! To see Kristen as she approached Peter with loving parents on either side and tears flowing down her smiling face, all I could think of was JOY! A man and a woman that prepared/ready/willing to commit themselves totally to one another and the Lord they serve is the best reason for JOY!

Reason Number Two - No matter where you are or where you've been or what mistakes you've made, a wedding signals hope for a fresh start and new beginnings. That's why I love going to weddings with my sweet wife, Ellen. Each time I do, it causes me to appreciate her even more and to recommit to loving her for the rest of my life. That's another reason for JOY!

Reason Number Three - How incredible is it that so many family members from far and wide would all gather together in one place just to experience a short 25 minute ceremony at a church? But, a wedding is so much more than that! A wedding is family, and a wedding basically creates a new family. Call me old-fashioned, but family is what really brings massive amounts of JOY!

Reason Number Four - Another incredible thing about a wedding is how willing your friends and family are to help with the arrangements and celebrate the experience with you! As we drove away from the parking lot of the country club where the reception was held I couldn't help but thank God for all of the incredible friends who did so much to make it all possible for all of us to experience so much JOY!

Reason Number Five - For months now, Ellen and I have had to talk and plan and wrestle with the details of our part in this wedding. But, in so doing, we have experienced a great deal of "connected" time with each other, and with Peter and Kristen, and with so many others. These times have definitely enriched our lives and while they involved a lot of work and planning, I wouldn't trade them for anything! All JOY!

Reason Number Six - To witness our other three children (Andy, Katie and Nathan) leading in such marvelous ways as the wedding approached, and expressing so much love for Peter and Kristen in the process, and demonstrating so much unselfishness on their behalf, there is no better gift that children could give to a father than that. All JOY!

Reason Number Seven - I can't even believe that God has allowed me to have this much JOY! Thank you God for giving me the opportunity to be a father and to have this opportunity to experience the wedding of one of my children. Wow! I am a truly blessed man!

The most incredible thing happened as I was finishing this post. I got a text message from the newly married couple thanking us for their JOY! Now I am even more of a blessed man through all of this!

1 comment:

Life with the Ellwoods said...

I realize I am a little late on reading this, but I was a bit occupied! ;) Ha! I absolutely love this post for so many reasons. Thank you for sharing your joy and heart with everyone!