Sunday, July 19, 2009

Do I want to be brave or safe?

The past couple of months have been very, very interesting for me. Sometimes you go through times like this and later look back on them and declare them to be a series of seminal moments in your life. This may be one of those times. I'm not sure yet, but it could very well be. How else do you explain some of the unique events and relatively unexplained "God moments" that have occurred in my life?

It may have all started by reading Mark Levine's very compelling book Liberty and Tyranny, or it may have been by plowing through Richard Stearns' fantastic book The Hole in Our Gospel. It may have continued with possibly a once-in-a-lifetime trip to New Zealand in late June to attend a leadership conference on "Soul Care," or a quick business trip to Ottawa, Canada, soon after returning from down under to dialogue with several colleagues there. As I contemplated and prayed for our daughter Katie's incredible and significant mission trip to India planned for this November and Nathan's mission trip and time spent at an orphanage in Chihuahua, Mexico, this past week, I began to realize that I needed to start paying much more attention to the message I seemed to be getting from God. Finally, an unusual occurance while at lunch with a friend this past Friday, and then finishing Gary Haugen's terrific book Just Courage this morning seemed to tie it all together, forcing me to face a really, really tough question for my life. I believe that God orchestrated all of this for me, and has been continually trying to help me "get it" through these experiences. Even one of the pastors at our church asked this same question of all of us at services on Friday night - Do I want to be brave or safe?

According to Haugen's book, all followers of Christ need to clarify important choices in life. And he believes that for those who have received the gift of salvation through Jesus Christ, the choice of the age for us is this: Do we want to be brave or safe?

According to Haugen, followers of Christ need to understand that they simply can't be both. He says that there are four things that hold us back from being brave versus being safe - Comfort, Security, Control and Success.

If we are more concerned about our own personal comforts in this life, we will be much less prepared to experience the adventures God may have planned for us.

If we are more preoccuppied with our own personal security in this life, we will be much less likely to step out in faith, trusting God to carry us through to the other side of the moment.

If we are so into controlling our own lives and the environments that we find ourselves in, we will be less likely to see and experience the miracles that God is already performing in our midst.

If we are so driven by achieving success in this life, we will probably miss out on experiencing a deep and abiding knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Do you want to be brave or safe?

I'm hoping that God is now moving me closer and closer to being brave. I would hate to miss out on the abundant life by only thinking "safe."


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I, too, am amazed at God's movement for both of us in this direction. I am so thankful that He is speaking to us at the same time, with the same message, even if in different ways. What an unexpected definition of a midlife revelation!