Sunday, November 8, 2009

I need a new favorite color...

Everyone has their favorite color. Mine used to be green. Not any more...

Green was such a perfect favorite color for me. Green implied growth and I'm a real pro-growth guy (economic growth, spiritual growth, growth in intelligence/understanding, etc.). Green also conjured up wonderful images of plants and "landscape," so appropriate for my chosen profession of Landscape Architecture. Additionally, green very often caused me to think of my home state, Iowa, and all the green grass, corn and soybean fields there. Finally, not everyone liked green as their favorite color either, which helped make me kind of distinctive/unusual (as though I needed assistance in being unusual...). Green was such a great favorite color for me, and for such a long time, too!

But, green is no longer a color. Unfortunately, green has now become a policy position, a political statement, a marketing strategy, a religion, and for some, even a calling or a sacred (?) cause to save the planet (ever heard of Al Gore?).

So, if you are reading this, help me. Please! I need a new favorite color...

I'm going to rule out the "colors" black and white first. Too many racial overtones and misunderstandings associated with these two. Plus, they are really non-colors, aren't they? How can you say that your favorite color is black or white when each are really non-colors? If I'm messed up here and one of these should be my new favorite color, let me know.

I'm also going to rule out gray. Gray is the color my hair is becoming and/or has already turned to. I'm not that concerned about it, but just because I'm getting closer to becoming a "senior citizen," I don't think my favorite color should be gray. What do you think?

I'd love to say that brown is my new favorite color because I like it and it reminds me of another of my favorites - chocolate. But, I really don't need to think about chocolate very much as it doesn't really do me any favors when it comes to my weight. Plus, everytime I tell people (especially my kids!) that the tuxedos the guys wore at our wedding almost 29 years ago were brown, they respond with disbelief in that choice and laugh. So, my new favorite color can't be brown.

What about purple? That's the color of my son Peter and his bride Kristen's alma mater - Abilene Christian University. It's also kind of a trendy color, I think? No. Can't be purple. Sorry folks. Although I am confident in my manhood and try not to be sexist, I still consider purple to be a female color.

Orange is nice, but burnt orange implies being a fan of the University of Texas (which I am not). Orange also has too much association with Halloween, doesn't it? So, I guess it can't be orange.

What's left? Red, Blue and Yellow - the primary colors. I like that. Maybe my next favorite color should be one of these?

Red is good. There is a lot of talk these days about red states and their association with being Republican and conservative. That makes a lot of sense for me. But, then again. Red also used to have several negative connotations - Red Communist, Red Chinese, Blood Red, etc. So, maybe not red?

Blue? Well, blue is my wife's favorite color and I really like it, too. But, since I'm not a blue state kind of guy, I don't really "sing the blues" very much, and since so many people like blue, maybe it's not unusual/distinctive enough for me? What do you think?

Finally, how about yellow? Why not yellow? I need a new favorite color... Should it be yellow? There is a really cool Cold Play song that I like about yellow. Sunshine is yellow and I love sunshine and lots of it? But, can I get past the problems associated with this color: yellow-bellied coward; yellow/jaundiced; yellow infections; etc. Oh me, oh my. What's the right answer?

I need a new favorite color... Send me your thoughts on which one I should choose, O.K.? Thanks in advance.

6 comments:

Life with the Ellwoods said...

Butter pecan. =)

Vince Ellwood said...

Thanks, Kristen! You are my first and only responder to my request for suggestions for a new favorite color! I like Butter Pecan (especially the ice cream flavor!).

Annie said...

Like I said last night, I believe this might be a temporary dislike of green. Don't give up on green! Oh, and I love your new photo!

. said...

Your color is just green, it makes sense! Just remember that it's not new to use a color as a campaign and time has proven that the colors outlast the campaigns. :-) Love you!

Vince Ellwood said...

Thanks, ladies! I appreciate all your input to my decision to try to find a new favorite color. Looks like there is sentiment towards me keeping green, with the alternative being changing to butter pecan. I'll let you know what I decide...

Andy Ellwood said...

A little late, but hopefully not too late to count, I would like to "3rd" the motion that you keep green as your go to. And I think that it would be very fair to say that you can have a renewed reasoning too.
Over the past 5 years, I think that the green that you have lived out is the green of growth. I know that you have seen me grow a lot in those years, but I have seen HUGE growth in you too. From "becoming the executive" to stepping outside (way outside) the comforts of the comfort zone in pursuit of growth and stretching the horizon.
That is the green that you represent to me. That is the green that you present to the world. That is the green that has others green with envy at your boldness to step out and seek the best and the growth you've been called to.