Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What's your favorite Christmas song?

About a week ago, our immediate family had an early Christmas gathering where we exchanged a few gifts and enjoyed some really great food/hospitality together. It was such a fun time and a real blessing for me personally! Towards the end of that wonderful evening, all eight of us (plus Peter and Kristen's cute little puppy!) piled into the minivan and traveled a short distance to look at a fantastic Christmas lights display (complete with synchronized music on the radio!) together. It was wonderful!

In the midst of listening to the great music on the radio and looking at the incredible lighting display, we started asking one another, "What's your favorite Christmas song?"

One by one we offered our favorites. Mine was Joy to the World, Ellen's was O Come All Ye Faithful, Peter and Annie's was O Holy Night, Kristen said Away in a Manger , and now I am forgetting the others that got mentioned (but I think Andy may have said Hark the Herald Angels Sing ). Sorry, Katie and Nathan!

Anyway, I am wondering, what's your favorite Christmas song?

I remember so vividly the first Christmas after I became a Christian many years ago. All of a sudden, the words of the Christmas carols that I had sung all of my life meant so much more to me! The theology contained in Christmas songs is so fantastic, especially if you are a believer in Jesus Christ! Wow. What a blessing!

And to think that during this great time of year, millions (if not billions?) of people all around the world sing songs about my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, and the celebration/remembrance of His birth at Christmas time! I love that!

Well, fast forward to the other morning as I was driving nonchalantly to my office. On the radio station I was listening to came my new favorite Christmas song! It touched me in such a special way! I had forgotten about this song when we were sharing our favorite Christmas songs in the minivan that night. How could I have forgotten this one?

The song I am referring to is Mark Lowery's Mary, Did You Know? and the lyrics go like this:

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would one day walk on water?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would save our sons and daughters?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy has come to make you new?
This Child that you delivered
will soon deliver you.

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will give sight to a blind man?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will calm the storm with His hand?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy has walked where angels trod?
When you kiss your little Baby
you kissed the face of God?

Mary, did you know...

The blind will see.
The deaf will hear.
The dead will live again.
The lame will leap.
The dumb will speak,
the praises of The Lamb!

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy is Lord of all creation?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will one day rule the nations?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy is heaven's perfect Lamb?
That sleeping Child you're holding
is the Great, I AM.


Wow.

Aren't those words powerful?

Don't these lyrics just give you goose bumps and cause you to want to fall on your knees and praise God for Christ's coming?

Or is it just me?

What's your favorite Christmas song?

Don't miss the spiritual importance of Christmas this year! Listen to the Christmas songs and think deeply about the theology contained within them. It's fantastic!

1 comment:

Annie said...

Love this blog!
My favorite lines in O Holy Night are:
"A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices" and "Truly He taught us to love one another."

Oh, I also love Mercy Me's song "Joseph's Lullaby." I will admit I well up every time I hear that song.

Merry Christmas Vince!