Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!

Normally, I have a hard time with "Hallmark holidays." You know - the ones that really are just made-up/invented special days that businesses heavily promote so that they can sell lots of cards, gifts and such for them (or so it seems)? Like "Boss's Day," "Administrative Professionals' Day" (formerly known as Secretarys' Day), and even "Grandparents' Day," etc. Nice ideas, I guess, but really...

Unfortunately, Valentine's Day also falls into the category of being a "Hallmark holiday." But, I like it anyway. I mean, who of us doesn't need/want a day focused on love? Love for your family, love for your spouse, love for your friends, love for your neighbors, etc. We all need love days, right?

So, Happy Valentine's Day to all of you whom I love!

But, where exactly did this "Hallmark holiday" come from anyway? And, how long have we actually been celebrating it? Do any of you even know who Valentine was?

According to Wikipedia (maybe not the most reliable source?), Valentine was an early Christian martyr. There may have actually been several of them over a period of years in the fourth and fifth centuries. Apparently, the martyrdom of these godly men named Valentine led to some pope declaring them qualified for sainthood - and thus Saint Valentine. That was a long, long time ago. Apparently, it wasn't until sometime in the fourteenth century that Saint Valentine became linked to what we all seem to think about St. Valentine's Day today - that is romance.

I have to be honest with you. I sat down to write on this blog today, fully intending to preach about something that I thought needed to be preached! I was loaded for bear, and ready to make some very bold statements about something that I felt needed to be said. But, before I got started preaching, I decided to read my sweet daugher-in-law's blog about one of the first dates she had with my son on Valentine's Day 2006. This completely changed my course. I had tears running down my cheeks as I finished reading what she wrote. Here's a link for you to read it also.

http://lettingyourlightshine.blogspot.com/2010/02/valentines-day-2006.html

Isn't that just wonderful?

So, you have been spared of my preaching and pontificating for today! What Kristen wrote in her blog about their date on Valentine's Day 2006, and the subsequent sweet, innocent, over-the-top romance she and Peter are still experiencing even to this day as husband and wife is much more important than anything else I could have written about today.

Thanks, Kristen and Peter, for being just who you are, and for demonstrating/living out such a beautiful image/picture of romance for us in 2010.

Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

Life with the Ellwoods said...

Aww, your post brought tears to my eyes! Thank you!