Thursday, June 6, 2019

My Six Months of Irresponsibility is Over Today

It may not be until this stage of life that you can even offer words of wisdom. Let's face it, earlier in life you really haven't lived long enough to truly know and understand much. But, since I am soon approaching my 65th birthday, maybe I have lived long enough to actually impart some wisdom? You be the judge after reading this blog post.

Today marks six months since my official "retirement" from working life. In some ways it's hard to believe that it's already been that long. In other ways it seems like I've always been retired. Suffice it to say, I am still loving retirement! No question about that!

In contemplating writing something for today, it occurred to me that I might be having my own "Ecclesiastes" moment. What I mean by that is that I felt a need to call an assembly to hear my thoughts on retirement thus far, similar to how King Solomon did something like that in his book in the Bible. Solomon looked back, noticed life as a breath or a vapor, pondered his life's purpose, asked whether what he strove for was worth it, and questioned whether he'd lived life as he should have to that point. Not sure if all of that will come out in this post, but I'll give it a try.

Solomon started his book by saying: "...words of the Teacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem." Well, I haven't ever been a full-time "teacher" in my life, and I'm certainly not the son of a king. But, I am amazed at the profound influence my Dad (a "king" to me) has had on my life (especially in the past year as we mourned his loss). I literally think about him and miss him every day. I wouldn't say that ours was an inseparable father/son relationship. But, I would say that his life has totally affected mine in ways innumerable. His life, well-lived, guides much of what I do and say and think every day. I am so very grateful for that.

In Ecclesiastes, Solomon spoke of a variety of miscellaneous topics about his life. I'll use several of those same topics as my framework for thoughts in what follows.

Pleasures - Solomon warned his readers that life can be a lot about gathering and accumulating - houses, gardens, treasures, etc. We are so fortunate to have a house that we love, a small yard that we enjoy and more than enough resources to live on comfortably. I am so grateful for that. But, there is an emptiness if enjoying pleasures like those is all you have. If all you are living for is the next pleasure you can experience, that won't be nearly enough and you'll never be satisfied.

The Mystery of Time - Our lives go by so very quickly. Reflecting back on the good life I've enjoyed thus far is a blessing, for sure. My life has been very full and for that I am extremely grateful. However, no one knows for certain the exact number of days you are given in this life. Only God knows that. So, these days I'm trying to live life with eternity in mind. I'm trying to enjoy the time I'm given, remembering that each minute, hour, day, and year is a precious gift from God.

Loneliness - Since I am not in the working world any more (with numerous friends and colleagues to interact with), my life could be somewhat lonely if I let it be. Therefore, I've discovered the vital importance of getting out of the house and interacting with other people more often. Not for the purpose of earning a living (as in my past), but rather to foster and deepen key relationships with the people God has placed in my life at this time. I've already discovered that it can be so easy to isolate from others at this stage of life. Therefore, I constantly need to make a concerted effort to call or e-mail people I know and love and/or schedule specific times with family, friends and neighbors so that the potential of loneliness is minimized. I need other people in my life.

Caution in God's Presence - As with my previous working days, obedience to God's calling and being careful with the words I say is still an important principle to live by in retirement. I really don't want to be one of those old guys who keeps talking even when those around me have stopped listening! Yikes. Hearing what other people have to say is important. Vows that have been made need to be fulfilled. Promises offered to others need to be kept. I must remember that all the riches and health/wealth I now enjoy are immeasurable gifts from God. I experience great happiness and maximum fulfillment when I do!

Wise Sayings/Avoid Extremes/Friendships Important - I am discovering that it is really important to share what I've learned in life with others. It's also important to avoid daily temptation extremes (in eating, spending, entertainment, etc.). The pent up demands for "doing what I want to do" (now that I can!) must be avoided constantly. In addition, proactively cultivating dear friendships while looking out for the needs of others around me (when I now have the time and resources to do so) is vital. I really need to continually be reminded to not waste the relationship opportunities I'm given each day.

Enjoying Life - Time spent with my wife, Ellen, each and every day is becoming more and more precious to me. It has been a big adjustment for both of us, for sure! But, as we do the hard work of getting to know each other more deeply (and completely) in these early days of retirement, I'm more and more convinced the rewards and payoff for doing so will be so worth it (for all the years to come).

The Burden of Folly - I am amazed at how tempting it is every day to want to just waste time or let time drift and not be useful or productive. Not that every minute of every day has to be totally useful or productive. But, there are golden opportunities every day to accomplish tasks and/or make a difference in other people's lives (if I am looking for them). Why waste those? Settling for silly stuff or letting my mind be occupied with stuff that just doesn't matter for eternity seems like such a folly.

Invest in Life - It has become painfully obvious to me as of late how important it will be to nurture and protect the great health I currently have going forward. And, I don't just mean physical health (although that is very important). Emotional, psychological and spiritual health is every bit as important. For the number of days I am given in this life, I want to live them in the best health possible, with gladness and joy to the max. But, that requires daily investments!

Solomon's conclusion at the end of his book was: "...fear God and keep His commands, because this is for all humanity." He also said: "For God will bring every act to judgment, including every hidden thing, whether good or evil." My conclusion thus far is very similar. I want to remember that each day is a gift from God. I also want to remember to glorify God with everything I do. All things matter, even in my retirement years. I want to always be useful, always be heavenly-minded, always love people, always invest in other's lives, always serve those who I come in contact with, and always enjoy knowing that all blessings I enjoy come from God. He is the reason I even have the opportunity to be retired.

I'm still learning a lot about life, and still looking forward to the next milestones that come my way in retirement. I am very grateful for the privilege of even crafting these words and sharing them openly with all who read them. I don't have any more "cover" now for being completely irresponsible. I hope the next six months will be focused on acquiring and exuding additional wisdom for the rest of my retirement years, however many that may be.

It is fitting to note that at the end of this six months period of being completely irresponsible, I grew a beard for the very first time in my life. We'll see if it lasts...

No comments: