Sunday, October 26, 2008

The toughest job I've ever had...

In these current economic times, I am so grateful to have a job. A job that I like, a job that pays me well, and a job that I am still jazzed about (even after 30 years with the same company!). It's great to have a job and I work very hard at being successful at it. What a blessing!

However, that's not my only job. I also have the "job" of being a husband, an elder at Chase Oaks Church, and the leader of a Life Group (together with my wonderful wife, Ellen) at our church. I'm sure that there are more jobs I could list, but by far the toughest job I've ever had is that of being a Dad.

I love my children so much and want nothing but the best for each and every one of them. I care about them so much and have a constant interest in where they are, what they are doing and who they are becoming. I am so blessed to be their Dad and count it an immense privilege to be a part of their lives, even as they become adults and advance into making all decisions on their own completely.

The really difficult part of the job of being a Dad is knowing when to speak into their lives and when not to. I'm sure that parents have struggled with this for years and I'm not the first one to experience this. But, it is really, really hard to know what to do. When you care so much, when you want nothing but the best for them, where is the balance in "letting go completely" and still wanting them to hear your voice?

You see, for many years that was your job - to train them, to teach them, to discipline them, to challenge them, to feed them, to provide for them, etc. Then all of a sudden, most of that becomes less of what you need to be doing. If you really love and care for them, you need to let go and let them be completely on their own. But, that part doesn't happen instantly. It happens more gradually. And all the while you are continually struggling with "Was that the right thing to do?" - "Was that enough - too much?". It's really hard to know.

My biggest consolation is this. These children that were given to me by God really belong to Him. He cares for them even more than I do. He loves them even more than I do. Even if I mess up as their Dad, God can make it right. I still have a part to play in their lives (Praise God for that!), but the results are not up to me. God has a plan for each of their lives and He will accomplish it in His time.

If you are not a Dad (a parent) yet, you may not be able to understand what I am saying here completely. But, hopefully some day you'll have that privilege, and then maybe you'll know a little bit more about what I am talking about...

No comments: