Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Midshipmen's Prayer of the Naval Academy

I was traveling most of the past week on business (to Princeton, New Jersey and Washington, D.C.). Traveling always affords me with plenty of opportunities to do reading that I seldom take time to do when I am at the office or at home. The magazines and periodicals and letters in the mail just stack up on me in my "inbox" and have to wait for the next trip to get read. I sometimes feel sorry for the people sitting next to me on the planes as I just get into my seat and read. Very little conversation with my traveling companions...

I also was involved in some work project meetings this week that included some members of our military personnel. Fine people. Really exceptional folks who are to be admired. Whenever I am around military personnel I am always impressed with how focused and mission-oriented they are. I'm also impressed with how dignified and above-board they seem to be. There's just something different about them and their approach to life, it seems.

So, it probably was not an accident that within the magazine I was reading on the plane I "found" the Midshipmen's Prayer of the Naval Academy. It really jumped out at me. I read it and then thought, "Wow. What if I approached each new day with these words on my lips? What kind of impact might that have on my behavior and the behavior of those around me?"

Today, I am going to try to accept the challenge of reading this prayer frequently and see what kind of difference it makes in my life. I challenge each of you reading this to consider doing the same thing.

"Keep me true to my best self, guarding me against dishonesty in purpose and deed... Protect those in whose love I live. Give me the will to do my best and to accept my share of responsibilities with a strong heart and a cheerful mind. Make me considerate of those entrusted to my leadership and faithful to the duties my country has entrusted in me. If I am inclined to doubt, steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me the courage to try again. Guide me with the light of truth and keep before me the life of Him by whose example and help I trust to obtain the answer to my prayer, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

2 comments:

Andy Ellwood said...

I used to find scripted prayers to be fake and insincere and not coming from the heart. But recently, especially since having joined a Methodist Church, I have found comfort and a new found appreciation for timeless words said with fervor and intentionality.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite scripted prayers is this seven part petition:

Lord teach me...
*that you're not in a hurry
*that everything has its time & place
*that instant answers do not mature us
*that waiting is good training
*that my greatest need is patience
*that when you are silent you are still moving and working in my life
*that my faith is in you and not in my prayers.

Amen.