Sunday, December 28, 2008

To whom much is given, much will be expected...

This year at Christmas, I have been thinking a lot about a very familiar expression. Perhaps you've heard it, too. "To whom much is given, much will be expected." You see, it has been made very apparent to me over the past several months that I have been given a wonderful life! My family has been blessed beyond imagination! Sometimes we can have a tendency to take blessings somewhat for granted, even forgeting where they are coming from. Sometimes we need a "holiday" like Christmas to remind us how truly blessed we really are.

Throughout 2008, we have been offered numerous opportunities to give. We have been prompted to share what we have been given with many along our path (family, friends, neighbors, people in our community, etc.). I am happy to report that we have responded to several of those promptings, and with JOY and hopefully a very generous spirit. However, I am sad to report that we have not responded to all of the requests that have come our way. Maybe it is unrealistic to think that we could respond to all the requests that are out there; there will always be more "need" than resources to satisfy the need it seems. But, I've had to ask myself this very penetrating question: "Why have we balked at some of the requests, but responded to several others?" I don't really have a hard and fast answer to my own question. I can only ascertain that God prompts us to respond to some needs, but potentially tells us to take a pass on others?

Each Christmas Eve, I have a special tradition of calling some dear friends of mine, Herrick and Mary Smith, in Florida. They are still a wonderful model and example to me of incredible "giving." I try to emulate their totally selfless generosity whenever possible, but especially at Christmas. You see, back in December of 1979, I found myself alone (and away from any family or friends) in Gainesville, Florida, at Christmas time. I was about to begin a "temporary" job of teaching Landscape Architecture at the University of Florida. After only meeting me once or twice, and knowing me for just two or three days, they still chose to invite me to attend Christmas Eve services at their church. They also invited me back to their home to share Christmas dinner with their family and friends. Amazing! It wasn't like they were extremely wealthy or the food/gifts were anything special. They had a very modest home and it really wasn't fancy at all. But, the way they were so willing to give whatever they had to someone like me who had a need is still an incredible witness to me of the expression "to whom much is given, much will be expected." Out of hearts filled with the love of Christ, they gave. And they gave willingly and abundantly. Wow! Thanks Herrick and Mary for being such great examples to me of "to whom much is given, much will be expected."

Therefore, I try to model Herrick and Mary's generosity to my family also and live by the overall intent of this expression - especially the second half of it. Not in a legalistic or "payback" sort of way (God really doesn't operate like that). It's not like we have to give because we have been given to. No, rather it is because there is a basic responsibility that goes along with abundant blessings. We have the privilege of sharing the abundance we have been given. I am so very grateful for that privilege.

God help me to have a pure heart to share, and the willingness to see the needs You have placed in my path...

No comments: