Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Value of "Connection"

Truth is, I am a real loner at heart; I really prefer being alone more than I want to admit. But even I understand the extreme value of being in close connection with others - especially fellow believers in Jesus Christ. We really NEED each other. We were created for "connection."

This life concept has really been driven home to me in several powerful ways during the recent Christmas/New Year holiday celebrations. Let me explain.

First, on Christmas Eve, my wife and I had the happy occasion of seeing some of our really dear Christian friends (and you know who you are!) at church. These friends used to live near us and attend church with us, but have since moved a couple of times and are now about to move yet again! As we spoke, you could tell that there was still a strong desire for "connection" between us. We all felt it. It is something really, really special. And of great value, too. We are still connected, but in a much different way. We long for the day-to-day connection we once enjoyed.

Second, on January 1st we celebrated the new year by inviting many of our family and friends (plus neighbors, co-workers, people from our church, our children's friends, etc.) into our home for a pancakes and sausage breakfast. We've been doing this for 30 years now, and it has become a huge part of our family's holiday tradition. This year a most amazing thing happened. A friend of ours who we had somewhat lost contact with over 15 years ago showed up at our front door. She and her family moved away from the area and experienced way too many trials and life changes. But, unbeknownst to us, she recently moved back to the area by herself. We did not know that she had. So, when she showed up at our annual pancake breakfast gathering, we knew that she also desired connection again.

I'm sure that I could go on and on with other examples of how we have experienced valuable "connection" and just how much we personally value it. But suffice it to say again, we were created for connection and we all need it.

So, who are you connected to these days? Are you even "connected" at all? And if you are connected, are you connected to the right people? Where are the people you're connected to taking you? Closer to the Lord, or farther away from Him?

Since it is the beginning of a new year, I resolve to value "connection" even more so in 2009. I want to make sure that I enjoy all the various benefits that connection with others brings. I want to reach out to those who are not now connected in community and try to help them get connected in some beneficial way. Because without connection, we can become unhappy loners - selfish, self-centered and disconnected.

Who in their right mind would choose that? Get connected!

4 comments:

Andy Ellwood said...

I am so very glad that we were able to connect so many times over the holidays though it never seemed enough....

Vince Ellwood said...

I agree, Andy. We are due for a Starbucks date, don't you think?

Deborah said...

Vince, just wanted to make sure you got my facebook message about this blog post...

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17

Vince Ellwood said...

Yes, Deborah. I did get your facebook message about this blog post. Thanks! You are too kind!