Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ctrl - Alt - Delete

I am guessing that most of you reading this post are doing so on a personal computer of some sort. Therefore, you know at least the basics of how they work. As a matter of fact, with most personal computers, you can't even "log-in" without doing a "Ctrl - Alt - Delete." It's a curious procedure really, isn't it? Like, why were those three keys (in that exact succession) selected? Why not "Insert - End - Tab" for example? But I digress...

The point is that whoever invented and perfected the operation of personal computers knew that there needed to be some sort of "system" by which a user could command their personal computer to start (that is if they had the appropriate password), and they chose "Ctrl - Alt - Delete" for doing that. In their wisdom, they also knew that there would be times when a user had a need for "escaping" a program or some other procedure when completely bogged down, or when encountering a huge problem, or even for when you are in the middle of something and your computer freezes up and you just need to go back a bit to discover why things aren't working as well as they did at one point in time.

Have you ever hit "Ctrl - Alt - Delete" in your life? I don't mean literally. I mean in a figurative sense. I know I have.

For example, there was a time in my life a year or so after I graduated from college when I just needed to start something new/fresh. The life pattern I was developing was taking me in a terribly wrong direction. I needed to just start over. It took me totally stopping what I was doing long enough to get my whole life system turned in a completely new direction. If I hadn't done that, I couldn't have moved forward. "Ctrl - Alt - Delete."

Then there was that time in my life when I really needed to escape the career/job I found myself in because it was completely bogging me down. I was going nowhere. I needed to take a few steps back and try again. Not throw everything away, just back up a bit to get back to the place where I got off track and try again. This time with the bad experience behind me as a guide to keep me from going there again. "Ctrl - Alt - Delete."

There have also been other times (more frequent than I probably realized until I started writing this) when I've encountered huge problems, things way bigger than what I could ever get through by myself. In those times, I've needed to figuratively hit "Ctrl - Alt - Delete" just to get perspective. Without proper perspective I really couldn't move forward. When life froze up on me, for those times when I just wasn't moving forward at all because of my own bad choices and/or the immense problems I was facing, I sometimes had to just go back a few steps and try to discover why things weren't working very well. What was the cause? What were the reasons? How did I get so far off-track? And then, once I discovered what the problem was, where I had left the track, I sometimes had to take some pretty drastic measures to recalibrate my life just so that I could in fact move forward again. Not easy to do, but definitely necessary. "Ctrl - Alt - Delete."

I believe in a God that designed us and also knew that we would at times mess up our lives. That is why He gave us a "Ctrl - Alt - Delete" to use when we need to start something new, when we need to escape something that just isn't working, and/or when we need to get HIS perspective on things and take some drastic measures to get back on track with our lives. His "Ctrl - Alt - Delete" is achieved through confession (I John 1:9). I'm so glad He created that for us because I've needed it many, many times in my life.

Praise God for His "Ctrl - Alt - Delete."

2 comments:

. said...

Dad you're amazing, thank you for sharing these words. I'm ready to hear the rest of the sermon firsthand!

Bone Daddy said...

Great words, Bone Chops! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with me!