Sunday, January 11, 2009

I'm really going to miss him...

In just 9 days, the United States will inaugurate a newly elected leader for our country. To be honest, I did not vote for Barack Obama. He seems like a very likeable, charismatic guy, but I just don't agree with most of his policies and/or the things he says he wants to do in governing our country. So, I'm not all that excited about this man being in office for the next four years (even though his will be an historic presidency - the first black American to be elected to the highest office in the land is definitely historic!). I do greatly respect the office, however, and as an American, I will support our new president. I will also be praying for him. Furthermore, I wish him great success!

But, what about that other guy who has "survived" being in office for the past 8 years? Today's Dallas Morning News features several articles about our current president - some that are "fair" and some that fall into the category of the same old Bush-bashing and media second-guessing that we have become accustomed to for way too many years.

After reading those articles it caused me to think. And, contrary to popular opinion, and contrary to what is currently the politically correct thing to say, I'm really going to miss George W. Bush as President of the United States.

There. I said it. Some of you are shocked right now and saying to yourself, "What an idiot! How stupid of him to say such a thing (especially in a public domain like this blog)!" Well, I'm sorry; just stating my opinion. Last I knew, we still had the freedom to do that in this country. Last I knew, we didn't have to fear retribution for saying something like that. Last I knew...

Political correctness has never been one of my strong suits, or something I'm known for. As a matter of fact, there have been many times when I've been in the seeming minority with some of my opinions. Especially political ones! But in this case, I believe my admiration for George W. Bush as president is for reasons other than political. I admire him for who he is and what he's done. Let me elaborate a bit.

I admire him because he is a fellow Texan and a fellow believer in Jesus Christ.
I admire him because he loves and protects his wife, and has been totally faithful to her.
I admire him because he is a loving dad. In spite of the demanding circumstances of public life including very little family time and "privacy," he has done what he could to shelter and protect his daughters from the sometimes ugly spotlight they were placed in at a very awkward time in their lives.
I admire him because he is not unwilling to leave the presidency in 9 days; he knows that his time in office is completed and that he has done what he could over the past 8 years. Now it is someone else's turn. Good for him! He doesn't need the office like some politicians do. He is more than happy to step back into private life and enjoy it.
I admire him because he is a straight-shooter and has never tried to be something he's not (overly intellectual or "uppitty sounding" in his speeches, etc.).
I admire him because he worked very hard behind the scenes to keep me, my family and this country safe and free from the vicious attacks of terrorists since 2001.
I admire him because he has withstood an unbelievable amount of negatives, slander, untruths, and hatred while doing his job, but hasn't allowed it to either defeat him or cause him to be bitter about life.
I admire him because he has "survived" the presidency for 8 years even when all decks have been stacked against him from almost the beginning. What a testimony of perseverance! Many other lesser men (or women) could not have survived what he has been subjected to. I'd challenge any of you reading this to even try to imagine being in his shoes for just one day; I dare say many (if not most of us) wouldn't even be able to stand it for a half a day! The demands of the office are enormous; the responsibilities overwhelming.

Is George W. Bush a saint? No. Is he the greatest president of all time? No. Has he made mistakes while in office? Of course. After all, he is human. None of us (not even Barack Obama!) is perfect, for goodness sake (See Romans 3:23).

But, let me just leave you with this final thought. George W. Bush is not the devil. He is not the absolute creep many have made him out to be over the past 8 years. He is not the worst president we have ever had in this country. As a matter of fact, "history" may prove that he was in fact a pretty good president after all...

I'm really going to miss George W. Bush as President of the United States.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I agree with what you have written about President Bush, Vince. I too am going to miss him.

What you have written reminds me of some of President Bush's comments at the Commencement address he gave at Texas A&M on December 12. Jeff, Kristin, and I had the privilege to attend that event.

President Bush told the graduates to develop a set of principles to live by...that popularity is as fleeting as the Texas wind but character and conscience are as sturdy as the oaks on the A&M campus...if you can go home at night, look in the mirror, and be satisfied you have done what is right then you will pass the only test that matters.

To me that defines President Bush. He did what was right at the expense of popularity. Hopefully in time his legacy will reflect the man of character that he is.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and thoughts in your blog.